Job Title: Staff Engineer (Back End)
Locations: Sri Lanka
Founded in 2014, Circles is a global technology company that’s reimagining the telco industry with its SaaS platform, Circles X, and helping operators launch and operate successful brands.
Today, Circles is partnering operators in 13 countries to deliver delightful digital experiences to millions of people through our businesses.
With Circles.Life, our digital lifestyle brand, we empower and delight customers across the world by offering digital experiences that go beyond traditional telco services.
With Circles X, our digital telco technology empowers operators to launch digital telco brands from anywhere in the world. Built for operators by an operator, Circles X powers both Circles.Life and our partner operators’ digital telco brands.
Circles is backed by global investors such as Sequoia, Warburg Pincus, EDBI and Founders Fund – renowned institutions with a track record of backing industry-shaking innovators
About This Role
As our Staff Engineer (Back End), you'll be responsible for integration with third party systems to facilitate delivery of new features based on core platform capability, enhancing the existing ones as well as supporting them in production. You will also be responsible for contributing to reusable libraries or technology platforms that address multiple use cases. You will work towards delivering specific milestones and objectives in a very dynamic environment.
As a key member of our team, your responsibilities include:
Technical Design and Development:
- Collaborate closely with Engineers to devise the best technical strategies and execute enhancements.
- Own the delivery of timelines, ensuring high-quality results.
- Establish software development best practices and encourage team adoption.
- Work with non-technical stakeholders (Product Managers, Designers, Marketing, Operations) to align on business objectives.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
Mentoring and Leadership:
- Mentor a team of engineers, providing guidance and support.
- Foster a culture of excellence and problem-solving within the team.
Software Availability and Enhancement:
- Ensure functional availability and enhance products based on requirements.
- Manage cloud-based services, web applications, and RESTful web services.
- Own the engineering excellence and operational readiness of services, meeting SLAs and SLOs.
- Drive service quality, security, scalability, and other performance aspects.
- Dive deep into issues, providing both reactive and long-term solutions.
Support and Mentorship:
- Assist other Support Engineers on complex RCA issues.
- Provide technical mentoring and guidance to fellow engineers.
- Offer L3 engineering support.
- Around 10+ years of experience in software development of which 2 years are relevant Engineering Leadership experience
Design and Architecture:
- Strong experience in designing highly scalable and available products.
- Proficiency in the full SDLC, from analysis to post-production support.
Server Side Frameworks:
- Strong proficiency in at least one server-side framework in order of priority (Java/Spring Boot, Go Lang).
- Experience with NoSQL and SQL databases (e.g., MySQL, MongoDB, Redis).
- Preferred experience in Elasticsearch and Kibana (ELK Stack).
- Well versed with messaging systems like RabbitMQ.
Multi-Tasking and Independence:
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple tasks effectively.
- Willingness to support off-hours.
Code Quality and Documentation:
- Program at a system level and maintain scalable, extensible code.
- Methodical in keeping documentation up to date.
Quality and Clean Coding:
- Metric-driven mindset and a commitment to clean coding practices.
- Experience with language specific test cases
- Preferred experience in product development.
Microservices and Front-End:
- Preferred 8+ years experience with microservices platforms.
- Proficiency in at least one modern web front-end development framework, to reverse-engineer issues when needed (e.g ReactJS) is a bonus.
Third Party Integrations:
- Proficiency of different communication protocols (HTTP(S), TCP, FTP etc.), able to read through different data transfer protocols like SOAP or JSON.
- Basic knowledge of various authentication and authorization mechanisms to easen the third party integration process
What’s On Offer
Circles.Life provides a great environment and platform for employees to build their careers. In this role, you can expect:
- Unique opportunity to be a part of the digital disruption in telecommunication (Circles.Life is the only company of its kind in all of Asia!)
- Autonomy in the role and in managing your portfolio
- Exposure to the fast-paced world of high-tech start-ups
- Attractive experience and compensation
- Working with passionate, smart, and driven colleagues in a vibrant environment