Senior Legal Counsel
MAS is an innovation driven company founded on a perfect blend of daring and visionary thinking – being one of Asia’s largest manufacturers of intimate apparel and sportswear. Performance wear and swimwear.
Embark on a journey of change with MAS, by joining the MAS Capital team as Senior Legal Counsel to support DG M- GL in the co-ordination and/or implementation of all legal matters, documentation, and legal compliance for the MAS Group in Sri Lanka and its overseas locations and to support and guide Legal Counsels’ and Junior Legal Counsels in the performance of their tasks.
- To draft and review all legal documentation required for projects/assignments in consultation with Deputy General Manager – Group Leal and external counsel (if and where applicable) so as to ensure quality documentation and legal protection for the MAS Group.
- (Legal Documentation includes, but not are limited to Joint Venture, Shareholder Agreements, Memorandums of Understanding, BOI Agreements, lease/tenancy agreements, banking documents, general commercial agreements etc.)
- To coordinate and attend to work related to the incorporation of new companies (local and overseas) so as to facilitate the setting up of the same.
- Coordinate with lawyers and company secretaries in order to ensure legal documentation for the incorporation of companies, application for Board of Investment (BOI) approvals etc. are in order.
- Advise and coordinate in the drafting of board/ shareholder resolutions/ attestations/ power of attorney etc.
- Co-ordinate with the BOI, banks and other legal bodies on required legal documentation.
- Other related work
- Coordinating with foreign legal counsel and SBUs; assisting in cross border acquisitions and expansions, carry out due diligence, prepare due diligence Reports in consultation with Deputy General Manager Group Legal (DGM - GL)
- Assisting with local expansions, acquisitions, ensuring all necessary agreements, approvals and documentation is finalized and complete.
- Add value and analyze opinions provided by external lawyers and make recommendations, in order to ensure the investments are aligned to the MAS project objectives and which provide opportunities to reap optimal benefits to the organization.
- Oversee and coordinate in the drafting of board /shareholder resolutions/ attestations /Power of Attorney etc.
- Attend to legal and other queries raised by MAS’ partners, divisions and SBU’s and other shareholders and provide assistance and quality opinions/solutions for legal matters in consultation with DGM-GL.
- In consultation with DGM-GL communicate with regulatory and legal bodies and build and maintain effective relationships to ensure up to date information flow to the MAS Group whist keeping abreast of developments in laws both local and international (as relevant) and advise relevant persons accordingly.
- Overseeing, coordinating and carrying out work relating to BOI and Department of Foreign Exchange (DFE) for approvals and investments on behalf of MAS SBUs.
- Actively assist in establishing good corporate governance practices for the MAS Group, coordinating and following through on good governance practices by the MAS SBUs.
- Assist Compliance Officer and Director Legal to implement a Corporate Governance process for the MAS Group.
- Support and guide Junior Legal Counsel and Legal Counsel on corporate legal matters and help them in developing their required competencies.
- Educating the business on the fundamentals of Corporate Governance and current policies and procedures in place.
- Organizing training and awareness sessions for Shareholders, Directors and key Stakeholders.
Qualifications, Experience, Skill and Competencies:
- Must be an Attorney at Law
- Relevant Educational Degree & Professional Qualification (Legal Background) 5-6 years of experience in a similar work environment desirable.
- Capable of analyzing and thinking conceptually
- Experience in company secretarial work and drafting and reviewing legal documents.
- Knowledge of labor laws preferred.
- Good interpersonal relationship skills.
- Must have ability to work and make decisions independently with minimum supervision.
- Willingness to work as a team to achieve common goals.