A Software Engineering Leader is accountable for the process of delivering software at IFS relating development investments to the overall Research & Development (R&D) Product Strategy, as per the 7-Stages Development Process.
The ability to articulate the What and Why to their teams based on their close working relationships with both Product and Program Managers is key to the success of the person in this role. As well as working with the DQA to ensure quality is constantly reviewed and is a key part of the planning and execution stages of development.
The role is key in maintaining continuity between the Sri Lanka R&D colleagues and the globally distributed Energy and Resource (E&R) product teams. As developers will be working on multiple products across E&R industry segments, operational excellence and communication skills are key to success. This role is focused on driving global product delivery while maintaining and improving software development processes at the local level. Also key is seeking to identify continuous improvements and consistent development processes in line with the wider industry to ensure the timely delivery of high-quality, secure, and performant software. These processes include but are not limited to automated testing at multiple levels, code reviews, security reviews, and the evolution of the architecture. In addition, they ensure collaboration, as appropriate, with the User Experience team to deliver great user experiences.
Integration and collaboration with other IFS teams is also key, so the Software Engineering Leader should foster good proactive relationships with stakeholders across IFS, including but not limited to colleagues in support. You will look to minimise the amount of R&D time spent supporting the product and minimise escalations by delivering high-quality, well documented software with a “right first time” approach and attitude.
- Tertiary education or equivalent professional qualifications, in a field relevant for the technical and/or functional area
- Strong software engineering background
- Knowledge of agile development methodology
- Expertise in managing and developing globally distributed teams
- Skills in prioritizing and taking decisions.
- Comfort presenting to peers and all levels of stakeholders
- A good understanding of one or more of our target industries and domain product / technology offerings as well as the business application processes for our target customers.
- Previously worked within a relevant industry or market
Comfort interaction with customers and partners
A Software Engineering Leader coaches and builds the team and is accountable for appraising direct reports. Each team member should have achievable but stretching goals to allow for personal growth and career development. Should there be the need, poor performance will be addressed for the good of both the employee and the team.
You will be accountable for identifying talent as part of the recruitment process and will look to upskill the team at any available opportunity
Personnel and Team Development
• Attract, recruit, and retain capable individuals
• Build high-performance teams; establish mission and purpose for individuals and teams based on global product-centric needs
• Performs and supports career counseling and personnel development for self, direct and indirect reports
• Listen and support teams in problem identification, root cause analysis, and decision-making
• Participate in defining and administering compensation, benefits, and promotions where appropriate in Sri Lanka
• Eliminate impediments and evolve systems and practices in support of Lean-Agile development
• Assignment of individuals to teams; address issues that teams cannot unblock; make personnel changes where necessary
• Evaluate performance, including team input; provide input, guidance, and corrective actions
• Serve as Agile coach and advisor to Agile Teams
• Help CTO and other directors evolve global team distribution, focus, and skill sets
• Help in building Agile Milestones and Roadmaps, as well as the building plans that enable them
• Participate in Inspect and Adapt workshops; support teams by helping them remove systemic impediments and implementing continuous improvement backlog items
• Manage and prioritize team activities based on product and industry roadmaps
• Assist the Release Train and Solution Train Engineers with PI Planning readiness and Pre- and Post- PI Planning activities
• Address operational issues as they occur specific to SL domain, aligning and executing software development, test, and deployment across global teams
• Participate in PI planning, System Demo, and Solution Demo
• Reinforce the Essential SAFe practices
• Identify delays in the system by facilitating or participating in value stream mapping
• Incrementally adopt the Built-in Quality practices for software, hardware and firmware.
• Understand, teach, or sponsor technical skills development in support of high-quality code, components, systems, and solutions
• Foster activity participation, including guilds and setting a positive example in the local community
• Understand, support, and apply Agile Architecture and Lean User Experience (UX)
• Monitor and report on team and individual performances, and take corrective actions to improve performance, quality, productivity and efficiency.
• Clearly and accurately communicates with technical and non-technical personnel both written and verbally;
• Cooperation and conflict resolution;
• Help employees learn and grow through mentoring and coaching;
• Set and monitor performance targets and/or objectives along with training, learning and development planning to meet an individual’s core job;
• Develop high performance teams.
• Engineering Leadership
• Create and lead others to follow a vision;
• Motivate and inspire others to greater commitment and enthusiasm;
• Identify and act decisively to remove impediments;
• Demonstrated ability in serving as an effective leader within and across organizational boundaries.
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE WITH PROFICIENCY/EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
• Bachelor’s degree
• 8+ years of experience in software development, with increasing levels of managerial and leadership responsibilities
• 5+ years of experience managing development teams
• Experience leading Agile development practices and process improvement initiatives
• Experience mapping business needs to solutions
• Adept in aligning to strategic goals, formulating a plan, and executing in a fast-paced environment
• Strong background in Scrum, Kanban and other Agile techniques with a demonstrated achievement of driving adoption
• Proven track record of meeting product delivery deadlines on-budget through implementation of repeatable processes for forecasting and project/program management
• Demonstrated ability to work well with people who aren’t direct reports
• Experience integrating acquired technology and people into the products and organization
• Experience working in environments involving the integration of complex applications (especially IFS Cloud) via web services and service-oriented architectures
• Demonstrated business acumen
• Experience with enterprise architectures, large on-premises models, as well as SaaS and multi-tenant architectures