John Keells Holdings PLC (JKH) is Sri Lanka’s largest listed conglomerate in the Colombo Stock Exchange. From managing hotels and resorts in Sri Lanka and the Maldives to providing port, marine fuel and logistics services to IT solutions, manufacturing of food and beverages to running a chain of supermarkets, tea broking to stock broking, life insurance and banking to real estate, we have made our presence felt in virtually every major sphere of the economy.
Our business built over 150 years touches nearly every major sector of the economy. We generate a significant quantum of data, and we intend to use it to build the future of our businesses. Our Digital and Analytics insights can positively disrupt life for all Sri Lankans and our commitment to passion and excellence will help to deliver superior value to customers, our people, and the community.
OCTAVE will be the cornerstone of our data-driven strategic and operational decisions!
Team OCTAVE will solve JKH’s most intractable problems across industry verticals by building pipelines using Python and Azure data factory to work on one of the country’s richest data lakes, building and implementing complex machine learning algorithms that will impact millions of Sri Lankans.
The Data Engineer / Senior Data Engineer will help in developing high performance & high scalability enterprise applications using one or more leading cloud platforms across SaaS and PaaS. They will be working closely with the data architects to jointly develop the data architecture and ensure security and maintenance. Their role also involves the diagnosis of existing architecture and data maturity and helping the organization identify gaps and possible solutions. They will also work with data scientists and business leadership to develop data pipelines for model development and production. Their work will involve a high level of interface with business heads and corporate leadership.
- Gather requirements, assess gaps and build roadmaps and architectures
- Lead teams of 2-3 associate data engineers in the project building and delivery process
- Explore suitable options, design, and create data pipelines (data lake/data warehouses) for specific analytical solutions
- Define ETL / ELT based on jointly defined requirements
- Identify gaps and implement solutions for data security, quality and automation of processes
- Support maintenance, bug fixing and performance analysis along the data pipeline
- Build and manage cloud data services
Desired Skills / Competencies
Education + Technical skills/experience
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or Statistics. Master's degree preferred
- 3+ years of experience in the data engineering field
- Experience in using SQL, PL/SQL or T-SQL with RDBMSs like Teradata, MS SQL Server, or Oracle in production environments.
- Experience with Python
- Limited Experience in using Microsoft Azure or other leading cloud platforms
- Experience in maintaining and configuring data engineering and ETL tools
- Experience with data tools such as Hive, Spark, Hadoop, or Presto
- Ability to work well in agile environments in diverse teams with multiple stakeholders
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Ability to effectively communicate complex analytical and technical content
Mindset & Behavior
- High energy and passionate individual who inspires teammates to reach their
- maximum potential
- Excited about trying new solutions outside standard approved
- Willing to adopt an iterative approach; and experimental mindset to drive innovation
Want to learn more about Octave? Check out https://www.keells.com/octave/