History of the Institution The humble beginnings of this pioneer institution in social work education commenced in 1952 when some leading citizens, a few non-governmental organizations and representatives of some government departments made a combined effort to establish the Ceylon Institute of Social Work. This institution was re-named as the Sri Lanka School of Social Work and commenced Diploma in Social Work in 1964. In 1987 the University Grants Commission informed that Sri Lanka School of Social Work should be upgraded as an Independent Institution. Cabinet approved the cabinet paper to establish the National Institute of Social Development in 1989 in order to provide higher education in Social Work and the School was upgraded and re-named as the National Institute of Social Development by an Act of Parliament namely: the National Institute of Social Development Act no.41 of 1992. The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between University of Colombo and NISD in 2003, following the suggestion of UGC to collaborate with a local University to commence the Bachelor of Social Work. In 2005, the Government of the Democratic, Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka, on the recommendation of the University Grants Commission, declared the National Institute of Social Development as a degree awarding institution for the purpose of developing higher education leading to the conferment of the Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, by order under Section 25 A of the Universities Act No.16 of 1978 published in the Gazette Extraordinary No.1395/15 of June 01 2005. The Bachelor of Social Work degree program commenced in December 2005.
national institute of social development
- national institute of social development No 488 Nawala Road, Rajagiriya
- 011 288 2506